As of 2012, two separate shields will be awarded during the Branch Striking Competition: the Bette Parfrey Memorial (formerly the Novice) Shield and the Harold L Parfrey Memorial Shield.
Towers can enter different teams for one or both competitions. For guidance, a Novice band should consist of at least 2 members who have not rung a Quarter Peal ‘inside’. However this is at the discretion of the committee/organisers.
Bette Parfrey Memorial (Novice) Shield
- Bands will be allowed approximately 2 minutes to practice before the Test Piece;
- The Test Piece should last at least 5 minutes;
- Each bell (apart from the tenor) must lead at some point during the Test Piece;
- Failure to stand a bell after the Test Piece will not be marked.
Harold L Parfrey Memorial Shield
The Test Piece will be marked as per the Association rules:
- A tower band shall consist of ringers who are resident Association members of the Branch who normally ring for Sunday services at that tower.
- Each ringer will only be allowed to ring for one band in the Advanced Competition.
- A practice of two minutes will be allowed.
- The test piece will consist of 120 changes of doubles or minor, or 120 rows of call changes (each bell except the tenor to be called to lead).
- All ringing will be marked.